Thursday, January 03, 2008

You just never know what they might say...

Ethan and I walked into TJ Maxx over the weekend and he spots a woman that walked in behind us and we proceed to have this conversation:

Ethan: "Mommy! Look at her bum! It is so big! It is huge!"

Me: (bright red and deciding how quickly a nine-months-pregnant woman can run out of a store hauling a 33-pound three-year-old) "Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!" (And then desperately wishing that I could've come up with something more wise).

Ethan: "But Mommy, it is SO big! Look at it! It is giant, isn't her bum giant!? LOOK!!"

Me: (Pulling Ethan aside and hiding behind the line of carts) "Ethan, it isn't nice to comment on a person's appearance. We keep those thoughts to ourself." (Trying to make sure I don't start teaching him bad messages about skinny being "good" and big being "bad").

Ethan: (Looking a little sad) "Ok. But her bum was big."

1 comment:

AuntieDonna said...

I'm going to have to get a waterproof keyboard--whenever I read something like this about Ethan, I either laugh-spit or laugh-cry